In this post, you can expect the best recommendations for Mexican food in Nashville. I won't overwhelm you with 20 or more choices like other websites.
I'm a Nashville local that have tried most of these myself. I have also asked my friends and family, who were born, raised, and live in Nashville, for their suggestions.
You only get the distilled, perfected, and non-negotiable best Mexican restaurant suggestions in this list. You won't be disappointed.
If you haven't met me, HI! 👋 My name is Alex; I'm a Nashville local who provides expert Nashville tips, tricks, and ideas on just about anything Nashville related.
Enjoy, and let me know in the comments where you went and what your experience was like!
Mexican Food in Downtown Nashville
San Antonio Taco Co. (SATCO)
SATCO makes the top of the list for four reasons:
- The tacos are phenomenal.
- The service is super fast and friendly.
- The beer selection is excellent; they bring it out in ice-filled tubs.
- The atmosphere is casual and fun.
SATCO is Tex-Mex (a combination of Texas and Mexican dishes). As you walk in, you line up and fill out a form listing everything on the menu, make your selection, hand it to the cashier, pay, and wait a short time for your food.
It's located on 21st Ave, within walking distance of Vanderbilt University.
- Try the Queso.
- Try the chicken and beef soft tacos.
- Get some ice-cold beer.
- Sit patio.
Saint Añejo has a great location in downtown Nashville's heart of the Gulch, just a 10min walk from union Square hotel or grand Hyatt downtown.
One of the qualifications for an excellent Mexican restaurant is the margaritas. They have a good selection of craft margaritas and a pitcher that gives about four freshly made servings.
Reasons we like it:
- Great atmosphere with lots of room for big groups.
- We recommend the Barbacoa and brisket tacos.
- Complimentary fresh warm tortilla chips and salsa.
- Excellent selection of tequila for sipping or mixing.
- Efficient staff and knowledgeable bartenders.
- Spicy margaritas.
- Good brunch selection.
- The steak and nachos were delicious.
- Great hot chicken tacos.
Blanco Cocina + Cantina
Our second recommendation comes for two reasons: location and quality. Blanco Cocina and Cantina are located in the new Fifth and Broadway development near the honky-tonks of lower Broadway.
Locals recommend cheese crisps and sweet potato enchiladas. The queso and four meat tacos are noteworthy, and the drinks were also good.
What makes them stand out to us is the caramelized Sweet Potato Bowl and the carnitas tacos.
If you need to park, it's easy to find a spot underneath the development itself, and it will cost about $35.
Bakersfield ~ Tacos. Tequila. Whiskey.
Bakersfield is located in the heart of downtown, just two blocks from lower Broadway and close to the Country Music Hall of Fame, easy to reach from downtown hotels.
Bakersfield's authentic Mexican food and over 100 tequila and American whiskey are what sets it apart.
As locals, here is why we keep going back and recommending Bakersfield to visitors:
- Friendly and fast service.
- Open later than other restaurants.
- Best street tacos in Nashville.
- Shrimp tacos are a must.
- Carnitas tacos, Baja shrimp tacos, and loaded queso are a must.
- It can be loud and open.
- Tacos are a little pricier (but great!)
Rosepepper Cantina is located in the trendiest and most creative neighborhood of East Nashville, just a 10-minute drive from lower Broadway.
We recommend Rosepepper because they have the best margaritas in Nashville. They have won Nashville's Best Mexican Restaurant and Best Margarita for 11 years.
Here's what we like:
- The chips, salsa and queso dip are delicious.
- The spinach enchilada, chicken tortilla soup, chile relleno, and Rosepepper Special Enchiladas are tasty.
- The margarita mixture is fantastic, and the margaritas are great.
- The service was friendly, attentive, and excellent.
- The atmosphere and decor of the restaurant are cute, festive, and peaceful.
- The food was a fair value for the money.
Cerveza Jack's also makes our list of favorite Mexican restaurants. It's a terrific location on 2nd Avenue, just off Broadway and across from the Cumberland River. In addition, it's within walking distance of lower Broadway and downtown hotels.
Reasons we like it:
- Amazing tacos, nachos, and fundido.
- Live music creates a fun atmosphere.
- Staff is friendly, attentive, accommodating to food allergies, and provides excellent customer service
- Nice and clean environment with spacious seating, a decent-sized bar, and a simple layout
- Located near the strip and easy to get to
- Reasonable prices and great deals on certain days like Taco Tuesday
- Good selection of beer, whiskey, and other drinks
Top Rated Nashville Mexican Food Trucks
- Maiz De La Vida – Top-rated Mexican food truck in Nashville with an upcoming Brick and mortar store. They are known for their outstanding service, drinks from the Tiki bar, and tacos, especially the sweet potato taco.
- Burritos La Mina – Located on Thompson lane, they are known for their authentic Mexican cuisine tacos and burritos, clean truck, helpful staff, accept cards (not just cash), and are well priced.
- Taqueria El Pollito Express – This Mexican restaurant offers a vast menu of delicious tacos, burritos, and more at reasonable prices with fast and friendly service. Although some dishes may not be perfect, overall, it's definitely worth a visit.
- Pie Town Tacos – a hidden gem that offers mouth-watering tacos and hot chicken. The standout dish is the hot fish street taco which is definitely worth the visit. Their street tacos are all exceptional and reasonably priced, making it an excellent option to support local businesses. Many thanks to the staff for a wonderful experience.
- Tako Loko Truck – Their carnitas are the best around and their mulitas are out of this world. Great value for generous portions and friendly service. A family favorite and highly recommended.